Sunday, April 29, 2012

Italic Nibs

To improve my handwriting, I decided to learn a little calligraphy. The book I took from off the library shelf was called The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting: Cursive and Calligraphic by Fred Eager and it clicked with me, so much so that I bought my own copy. I admire people who can do calligraphy but all I really wanted was a legible hand plus be able to write names on certificates and have them look good. Italic handwriting seemed to fit the bill.

And that led to my discovery of italic nibs. The combination of thin and thick lines just does it for me. It seems to me that they are even more finicky than the pointed nibs, however. Still, when the ink, paper and feed is right it is a glorious thing and sure to charm adults and children alike. I have never bought a custom ground nib. My experience is with the cheap Pilot Plumix, Pelikan calligraphy pens, Manuscript, Schafer and one disasterous Parker Frontier pen that was recommended to me but never worked well.

Now when my handwriting becomes impossible for me to decipher, much less the public, I pick up my old Fred Eager book, a pen with an italic nib and practice until my handwriting is once again legible. I'd like to find a piston fill pen with an italic point. I'm sure they exist.

No comments: